Wednesday, April 18, 2018

In Search of Huckleberry Pie

Whitefish, Montana
August 20, 2010

For the past few days, my partner-in-crime-for-dessert and I came across quite a few mentions of the huckleberry in our travels. Which was kind of strange since I thought a huckleberry was a made-up fruit so that Mark Twain and cartoon characters would have a name. When I heard the word huckleberry, I pictured in my mind Huckleberry Finn and Huckleberry Hound. I even thought the phrase "I'm your huckleberry" (meaning I'm the right person for the job) couldn't have anything to do with a fruit hanging off a bush.

On our hike to the Grinnel and Salamander glaciers on the east side of Glaciers National Park, Ranger Bob gave us a botany lesson which uncovered the mystery of huckleberries. He pointed out to the panting group of hikers a bush by the side of the trail, a bush blushing with the fruit of the huckleberry. With a park ranger giving us comfort that we would not be poisoned by the huckleberry, the hikers grabbed the berries off the bush and slipped them into our mouths. My partner and I tried to figure out the taste of the huckleberry before we continued hiking. My ruling: like a blueberry, not as juicy and a little bit more tart. Something I could have again although I probably couldn't enjoy many at the same sitting.

After we returned from the glaciers, we started to see more and more signs and indications of the huckleberry. We became captivated by that berry and hoped that we would soon find some pie with that fruit. Our first chance for huckleberry pie was a swing and a miss at the Johnson's Cafe in St. Mary. We were a bit too late, and they ran out of Huckleberry Pie just before we got there. The next evening found us smacked dab in the middle of huckleberry country in Whitefish, Montana. Huckleberry pie was on my partner's mind, and when we could not find it at the restaurant where we had an early dinner, the question was asked, "Where can we find some huckleberry pie?"

The waitress told us the name of a restaurant and gave us some directions, and we were off. After figuring out the general layout of downtown Whitefish, we slowly drove in the direction given to use, south by west, and peered at the business names stamped on the buildings. Our drive was not a long one as Loula's Cafe was not difficult to spot at the corner of East Second Street and Lupfer Avenue. As we walked across the street, I had a smile on my face as I knew our quest for huckleberry pie was about to end (and we would not have to continue driving around northwest Montana looking for it).

We were all business and announced to the hostess that we were there only for the huckleberry pie. She seated us quickly, and we reannounced our business to the waiter. We want huckleberry pie! He asked us how we would like it. My partner asked for it to be heated with a little a la mode. I said, I did not want it heated, I did not want ice cream, I just wanted the huckleberry pie as is. My answer received perplexed looks from my partner and the waiter.

Oops, did I just make a dessert faux pas? I quickly thought—should I have it heated, should I have ice cream? How best is it to experience the delight of the huckleberry pie? When things get to difficult to figure out, I resort to the simple answer, and my answer to this difficulty—I will not waiver from my non-heated, non-a la mode pie.

I like berry pies, and the huckleberry pie was no different. It was dense with berries, and the sugar mellowed out the tartness. But it was a room-warm offering of dessert with no pizzazz. I'll probably never have another slice of huckleberry pie, and now I'm questioning my decision. Would a warm pie with the coolness of ice cream bring out the flavor of the huckleberries even more? For this one and only huckleberry pie experience, I now doubt myself and believe I should have my huckleberry pie warmed with a dollop of vanilla ice cream on top.

Hmmmm, I'm stressing out about whether I should have had warmed huckleberry pie a la mode. Being on vacation for eight months can mellow you out and help you focus on the simple pleasures of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment