Monday, December 25, 2017

Sliding Rock and the Kid in Me

Pisgah National Forest, Transylvania County, North Carolina
April 30, 2010

I was driving up the Blue Ridge Parkway and encountered one of those pesky detours.  A portion of the parkway was closed because of some winter landslides, and I was diverted onto a North Carolina highway.  On my cross-country drive a detour is not a problem but rather an opportunity, and this opportunity took me to Sliding Rock in the Pisgah National Forest. It is a natural 60-foot water slide that drops you into a cool pool of water.

Sliding Rock

As I gazed at this spectacular natural rock formation, the kid in me said "DO ... don't just look".

I high-tailed it back to my truck, changed into my swimming trunks, and returned to the Sliding Rock. On this day there were only a dozen or so people at the bottom of the slide, and I would not have to wait long. Getting behind the kids who were more adventurous than the adults in the crowd, I trudged to the top, plopped my butt on the rock, and pushed myself down the flowing water.  The pool of water waiting for me at the bottom was brrrrr cold, the kind of cold that causes shrinkage.  After a couple more rides down the rock, I headed back up to the parking lot with another walkabout smile on my face :)

Just two miles down the highway from
Sliding Rock is another one of nature's
attractions in the Pisgah National Forest

Looking Glass Falls

No comments:

Post a Comment